The Advertising definition is a form of marketing communication used to persuade customers to take action, according to Webster’s Dictionary. However, to advertisers, advertisements may be works of art, hours of time devoted into finding the perfect message. The advertising definition changes, depending on whether you are a customer or advertiser.
Companies, such as Google, may bring in $50 billion in annual revenue and advertising on Google-owned websites brought in $31.2 billion in annual revenue. According to AdWeek, the company increased their revenue by 19 percent.
Is advertising online becoming too personal for Internet surfers?
With this form of marketing communication, ad designers and ad strategists can use technology to track what purchases a person makes online. Is this technology an invasion of privacy?
Joseph Turow, a professor at the Annenberg School for Communication at the University of Pennsylvania, said the new technology is being used in “defining your identity and worth.” It works in real time and advertisers across the board share information.
For advertisers, advertising is a way for them to find what they passionately like to do and win larger advertising budgets in New York. Ad men and women also want the name recognition that comes by designing an award-winning ad.
What’s next for the future of advertising in New York and elsewhere?
Many consumers bombarded by ads daily may think that their digital profiles are anonymous. The truth is these profiles are like fingerprints. They show advertisers what we like so they also tailored ads can be made, personalized to the individual.
If advertisers know our weaknesses, they can develop ad campaigns targeting what they know individual consumers will buy. The Bureau of Labor Statistics says the field is growing and there will be 40 percent more advertisers in 2022.
Five of the hottest jobs in New York’s advertising field
Advertisers’ jobs may be changing in that the definition of advertising is changing. Ads are not software related as much as they are data-related. Here are some of the companies that pushing this idea and creating new experiences for consumers, who are also users.
- Razorfish – VP/Group Strategy — This position requires a candidate to have more than 10 years of experience in internet, marketing, and management consulting and at least seven years of experience in digital space. The median salary for this position is $157, 665, according to Glassdoor.
- R/GA – Copywriter – From storyboards to assisting with production, a copywriter finds content which appeals to customers, ensuring companies have the best content. At R/GA, a copywriter can earn $75,843 annually.
- 360i – Media Manager – If you have a strong understanding of SEM and PPC campaigns, you may want to consider becoming a media manager. The median salary at 360i is $61,322.
- MLB Advanced Media – Social Media Producer – This is one of the biggest media companies in the industry and earned $14 million in ad revenue last year. Named after MLB, as in the Major League Baseball Association, advertising is not just about baseball. Salaries vary. The advertising definition runs deeper. The median average for salaried positions was $80,000 to $90,000.
- Venmo – Head of Marketing – This company creates products consumers enjoy, such as healthy snacks or cold, brewed beer. If you want to be head of marketing, you must have six to nine years of experience within a creative agency or start up. No salary information was listed, but salary rate varies from $60,000 to $160,000. It largely depends on the responsibilities of the employee.