If you want to work in advertising and earn the highest advertising salary of all your friends than New York is where you want to be. New York City will bring in a portion of the $1.4 trillion economic output according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Why is New York City the best place for advertising executives to earn a high salary? Its location, easy access to the subway, restaurants within walking distance, are draws for Generation X employees. However, is there competition among the highest paying advertising companies in New York? According to MediaJobs.com, there are a wide range of advertising account executive positions in New York.
According to Business Insider, the company offering the highest advertising salary is Google. Employees rank their satisfaction with salaries as 4.4 out of 5. Google is located in Mountain View, Calif., but has New York offices.
Google gladly forked over $100,000,000 for a Google exec’s advertising salary in New York
Twitter desperately needed to revamp it’s image, they sent an offer to a Google executive and former DoubleClick lieutenant, Neal Mohan. He was all set to go until Google offered him $100 million in stock to stay. This is how one of Google’s most successful advertising executives made the highest salaries in the country.
Mohan began his career making $60,000 annually with the advertising company, NetGravity. As a senior analyst, Mohan gained a great customer service demeanor.
The truth about Mohan’s advertising salary in New York
According to Mohan’s former boss and president of NetGravity, Richard Frankel, Mohan wanted to help customers solve their problems, but he also wanted to improve those processes that had caused customers’ problems.
“He helped customers figure out how to better use our technology,” said Richard Frankel, who was Mohan’s boss at the time.
The life of an advertiser
In 2013, the average salary for an advertising executive or manager was $139,020 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This average annual salary is for advertisers or managers whose field is in public relations, advertising or related services; it is best to have a bachelor’s degree. Some advertisers have a master’s degree. The best advertising companies in New York, such as Dentsu Aegis Network, The Ruder Finn Group, and R/GA, have teams of art directors who design ads for Mars Inc., Mountain Dew, Microsoft, and Ralph Lauren.
Here is a look at the best ad jobs in New York City, with salaries to match
- Young &Rubicam Group (Y&R) – Advertising Account Executive – It is considered the top advertising agency in New York. Its U.S. revenue measured $43.6 billion according to Ad Age and according to Salary.com; the median salary for an advertising account executive is $89,874 annually.
- Dstillery – Director of Marketing Communications – This Company is one of the fastest growing and one of the 400-plus, top-tier brands. Advertising employees make $104,000 annually, says Glassdoor
- Saks Fifth Avenue – Social Media Manager – This position requires candidates to have at least four years of experience in web design and hold a bachelor’s degree in multimedia design, web design, or graphic design. Salaries for this advertising position vary widely, based on whether the employee is hourly or salaried. A social media manager at AT&T may earn an annual salary of $43, 049, but a social media manager at Samsung earns $88,170 annually.
- Omnicom Group Inc. – Advertising Strategist – Have you ever wanted to help customers experience a better product. A company needs a stellar ad campaign to win customers. Advertising strategists who pull this off make $49,969 a year for their advertising salary.
- Strawberry Frog – Creative advertising graduates – This New York advertising agency boasts of using movement marketing. Annual salary for the artist who designs multimedia ads is $70,593 a year.