For many recent New York City graduates, it can be a difficult decision deciding what type of advertising careers to pursue. According to the CNN Money, advertising careers will increase 16.4 percent in the next 10 years. This increase is more than a 1.7 percent annually over the next 10 years. Other careers, such as a newspaper reporter or news correspondent will decline between 13 and 14 percent in the next ten years. News analysts will see little change in the number of analysts working in the field, only a 2 percent decline.
How do you choose the careers that will make you rich? There are several factors think about. Are you passionate about your job? Choose a company, which will nurture that passion, and allow you to have as much control over the decision process. Does your company support you? This is a reason job seekers need to consider when choosing your career. Another reason some employees may quit their advertising jobs is they believe employers are not using their talents.
Best employees tailor their skills to their advertising careers
The biggest thing I tell interns is to pick a category and figure how to do it really well,” said John McDougall, president of McDougall Interactive Marketing, in Danvers, Mass.
Careers in advertising can be lucrative and well worth the degree, if chosen wisely. Multi-million dollar companies, whose business is making consumer advertisements, receives six-figures in revenue. For example, Google earned $69 billion in revenue, in 2014, though it is unclear how much Google spends annually on its advertising. It is clear a market research analyst was one of the top paying jobs in 2014 and the Bureau of Labor Statistics expects this field to grow by 41 percent by 2020.
Why advertising careers among the highest paying?
Companies continue to drop large amounts on advertising. In 2013, it is estimated that Samsung spent $12.7 billion on advertising. Here is a look at five of the careers that will make you rich, should you pursue these advertising careers at top companies.
- Carat – Analyst, Media Systems – Analyzing companies and developing the best ads to fit their customers is one on the best paying jobs in advertising. According to Glassdoor, the median salary is between $51,000 and $105,000, depending on the company.
- Huge – Producer – In 2014, Huge’s revenue grew by a third to more than $185 million and expanded business with long-time clients American Express. There is no information on how much a producer makes at Huge, but its rival, R/GA pays producers, on average, $93,000 annually.
- AKQA – Media Supervisor – This is a company that designed the world-famous Visa ad at the World Cup in 2014. The median salary for this job ranges between $70,000 and $90,000.
- Vayner Media – Art Director ‑The Company is billed as a social-first, “indie” company that is one of the hottest ad agencies in 2015, and a good place to work for those interested in advertising careers. Salary information was not provided at Vayner Media, but competitive advertisers have paid their art directors $83,000 annually, and more than $115,000 a year.
- Mekanism – Brand Strategist/Planner – Using humor and great story telling, this ad agency has some of the biggest customers: Aquafina, AMP Energy, Starbucks, and others. Median salary for this position is $62,000 to $105,000 annually.